The Pastor and Deacon of Mission San Jose will handle the marriage preparation and preside over the ceremony of parishioners who have been registered at Mission San Jose Church for at least one year prior to scheduling the wedding, as well as supporting the Church and participating regularly in the liturgical life of the parish.
Other Catholics who are not parishioners must arrange for a priest or deacon to:
1.Work on your marriage preparation and preside over the ceremony.
2.Complete all paperwork required by the Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio (210-734-2620).
3. Submit the completed marriage packet, along with sacramental records to Mission San Jose Parish no later than one month prior to the wedding;
4.Conduct the practice/rehearsal. (Priest or deacons from San José Mission will not serve as a substitute should the celebrating priest/deacon fail to show or cancel.); and
5. Make sure the marriage license is completed and signed by all parties and filed with the proper County Clerk or provided to the Parish Office so that it may be mailed to the Clerk’s office.
Please note that we do not allow a Justice of the Peace (JP) to preside over any wedding ceremonies in the Church, Convento or Church grounds and non-catholic wedding are strictly prohibited. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please call the Parish Office.
Fees for Use of the Church (effective 2/2017)-
The fee for Parishioners of Mission San Jose is $950.00, which includes the stipend for the priest. A Parishioner is someone who has been registered at Mission San Jose Church for at least one year prior to scheduling a wedding, as well as supporting the Church and participating regularly in the liturgical life of the parish.
The fee for non-parishioners is $1,500.00 for the use of the Church*.
A $500.00 NON-REFUNDABLE down payment is required at the time you reserve the date for your wedding. While the down payment is non-refundable, it is transferable to another date should there be an unforeseen reason the date of wedding needs to be rescheduled. The down payment will be applied towards the total fee and the remaining balance is due 6 weeks prior to the wedding date.
This fee includes the use of the Church for 1 hour on the rehearsal date, 2 hours on the date of the wedding, and our Wedding Coordinator services for both the rehearsal and wedding. If you have hired a wedding coordinator, you must contact the Parish Office, 210-922-0543 as soon as possible.
*NOTE: The church fee is only for use of the church facilities and does not include the priest's stipend nor the fee for your musicians.
Ceremony and Rehearsal -
Wedding ceremonies are only scheduled at 1 pm or 3 pm. Reserved time slot runs as follows:
1:00 pm ceremony Ø You are booked from 12:30pm - 2:30pm.
3:00 pm ceremony Ø You are booked from 2:30pm - 4:30pm.
If your ceremony begins late, you will be required to be out of the Church by the specified time slot booked for your ceremony. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS. We will strictly adhere to this policy!
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL ANY CEREMONY SHOULD THERE BE ANY THREAT OR HARM DIRECTED TOWARDS THE CHURCH AND/OR THE PARISH PERSONNEL.
YOU MUST BRING the original marriage license and unity candle (if applicable) to the Parish Office and also present it to the Wedding Coordinators on the day of your rehearsal. Wedding rehearsals are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis and are conducted on the Thursday or Friday before the ceremony. Rehearsals usually last one hour and are scheduled at either 5:00 pm, or 6:00 pm. Please make sure that everyone attending the rehearsal arrives on the scheduled time. If your rehearsal begins late, you still must be out of the Church by the specified time given. ALL PARISH ACTIVITES TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER YOUR CEREMONY OR REHEARSAL.
Rice/Bird Seed, Etc. -
The National Park Service DOES NOT allow anyone throwing bird seeds or rice before, during or after ceremonies. Additionally, the church does not allow throwing confetti or flower petals. The use of bubbles by your guests is only allowed outside of the Church following your ceremony. Any items to be used by the wedding party such as bubbles, bells, etc should be approved by Mission San Jose Pastor. Failure to obtain approval will result in us not allowing the items to be used at the ceremony.
Two floral arrangements may be placed on the small stands on both sides of the altar or one large floral arrangement may be placed in front of the Altar. Flower arrangements are not allowed on top of the altar (table). Floral decorations in any other area of the church requires prior approval by the church. NOTE: All couples are required to leave at least one (1) fresh flower arrangement of $75.00 value or greater in the Church after the wedding ceremony. No silk or plastic flowers are to be left in the church.
NOTE: Statues, furniture or decorations that are currently present in the church cannot be removed or relocated to any other part of the church. Please check with the office to determine if the Church will be decorated prior to your ceremony.
Rental of Parish Facilities -
- Candelabras may be used, however a drop cloth must be used to protect the floor from wax (dripless candles DO drip).
- Pew decorations are to be tied on with ribbon or attached with decorative elastic. No tape, tacks or nails are allowed.
- Aisle runners can be used. Paper, plastic, fabric or carpet is allowed. The church center aisle runs 77 feet from before first Sanctuary step to doors. You are responsible for the removal of the aisle runner immediately after the wedding ceremony.
- All packaging materials and boxes brought in with your flowers or decorations must be taken with you and disposed of immediately after the ceremony.
- Remember, you have only 30 minutes to decorate before the wedding ceremony.
- DO NOT PLACE ANYTHING ON TOP OF THE PIANO
- Please pick up your trash before you leave the church after rehearsal and after the wedding.
Bridal Changing Room: We have a facility (Mini-Center) for brides to use as a changing room prior to their wedding ceremony and/or bridal portrait. The rental fee is $150.00, (for a three hour limit). This facility is air-conditioned, has a full-length mirror and a refrigerator for water & small flowers or corsages. The rental fee is only for the use of the facility and does not include a clean-up fee. Please do not leave flowers, papers, cups, cans or bottles of water on the tables or counters. Food and drinks, other than water, are not allowed in this room. You will be provided with a key to lock the Mini-Center. The Mini-Center accommodates no more than 10 people. You must return the key to the office immediately after using it. If no one is in the Parish Office, you may put the key in the “drop-slot” located at the bottom of the office door. Note: You will be charged an additional fee of $150.00 if you fail to return the key to the Bridal Room. (A drop-slot is located on the Parish Office Door). Please contact our office if interested in renting this room.
NOTE: ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE CHURCH, THE BRIDAL ROOM OR ANY OTHER PARISH FACILITY OR ON THE CHURCH GROUNDS OR PARKING LOTS.
Special Circumstances -
The Church has wheelchair access at the East Gate entrance. Guest may be dropped off and picked up outside the gate ONLY. Ramps are located at the back entrance of the Church. In case of inclement weather, ONLY one car is allowed into the Mission Compound to drop off the bride and/or groom. To make this request, please speak to your assigned rehearsal/wedding liaisons. He/She will be present at your rehearsal and before/after your ceremony to assist you and your priest/deacon.
- Posed photographs are allowed in the Church prior to or after the ceremony provided that the wedding begins and ends on time. If the time is short, we suggest that photographs be taken at the reception or outside the Church in the Convento (Garden Area behind the Church). Your Photographer/Videographer shouldn't distract from the bride and groom by moving around in the Church. No spotlights are to be used with either a camera or video camera. You must contact the National Park Service at 932-1001 to obtain a permit if the bride wishes to take a bridal portrait on any day other than the wedding date. Photographers and videographers are not allowed on the Altar during the wedding ceremony.
All music selections must be liturgical in nature and approved by our Pastor at least 2 months prior to your wedding. If you need help with guidelines or you are looking for a referral for someone to play the piano, organ, guitar or Mariachi, please call the Parish Office at 922-0543. The Church has it's own sound system. We do not allow any additional sound systems in the church, however a small cassette tape/CD player or iPod is allowed. Please contact the Parish Office to ask for permission if you plan to use the piano and/or the organ. NOTE: The piano cannot be moved under any circumstances.
Our policies and guidelines for renting the Church and celebrating the sacrament of marriage are subject to change. For a copy of the wedding contract or discuss available dates, please call Francisco Suniga at the Parish Office or send an email to: